Ashish Dev Gera is a physiotherapist in the Doon Valley in India. In this discussion, he shares his perspective on the challenges facing his profession in India.
We talk about
- The problem of “Brain Drain” as Ashish sees it, where Indian physiotherapists are choosing to go abroad for better professional opportunities
- The hierarchical system encountered by physiotherapists in India
- Underrepresentation of Indian physiotherapists at international conferences, and the possible reasons for this
- Self-perception of physiotherapists in India and lack of confidence in their own skills and abilities
- The importance of hearing and promoting voices from diverse backgrounds and places
- Ashish’s ambition to help raise standards in his profession at home
Off-camera, following the interview Ashish told me “I just want to leave the profession better than I found it”. I think this sums up his mission and hopes perfectly.
Available as a podcast at: https://anchor.fm/physiosonline/episodes/Physiotherapy-in-India—Brain-Drain-and-other-Challenges-e156sf3